小王子 第2期:通情达理之人
时间:2016-01-06 01:38:09
搜索关注在线英语听力室公众号:tingroom,领取免费英语资料大礼包。
(单词翻译)
I had been disheartened by the failure of my Drawing Number One and my Drawing Number Two.
我的第一号、第二号作品的不成功,使我泄了气。
Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves, and it is
tiresome1 for children to be always and forever explaining things to them.
这些大人们,靠他们自己什么也弄不懂,还得老是不断地给他们作解释。这真叫孩子们腻味。
So then I chose another profession, and learned to pilot airplanes.
后来,我只好选择了另外一个职业,我学会了开飞机,
I have flown a little over all parts of the world; and it is true that geography has been very useful to me.
世界各地差不多都飞到过。的确,地理学帮了我很大的忙。
我一眼就能分辨出中国和亚里桑那。
If one gets lost in the night, such knowledge is valuable.
要是夜里迷失了航向,这是很有用的。
In the course of this life I have had a great many encounters with a great many people who have been concerned with matters of consequence.
这样,在我的生活中,我跟许多严肃的人有过很多的接触。
I have lived a great deal among grown-ups.
我在大人们中间生活过很长时间。
I have seen them intimately, close at hand.And that hasn’t much improved my opinion of them.
我仔细地观察过他们,但这并没有使我对他们的看法有多大的改变。
Whenever I met one of them who seemed to me at all clear-sighted,
当我遇到一个头脑看来稍微清楚的大人时,
I tried the experiment of showing him my Drawing Number One, which I have always kept.
我就拿出一直保存着的我那第一号作品来测试测试他。
I would try to find out, so, if this was a person of true understanding.
我想知道他是否真的有理解能力。
But, whoever it was, he, or she, would always say: “That is a hat.”
可是,得到的回答总是:“这是顶帽子。”
Then I would never talk to that person about boa constrictors, or primeval forests, or stars.
我就不和他谈巨蟒呀,原始森林呀,或者星星之类的事。
I would bring myself down to his level. I would talk to him about bridge,and golf, and politics, and neckties.
我只得迁就他们的水平,和他们谈些桥牌呀,高尔夫球呀,政治呀,领带呀这些。
And the grown-up would be greatly pleased to have met such a sensible man.
于是大人们就十分高兴能认识我这样一个通情达理的人。
分享到: