精灵鼠小弟 第72期:写信给埃姆斯小姐
时间:2016-05-09 07:14:24
搜索关注在线英语听力室公众号:tingroom,领取免费英语资料大礼包。
(单词翻译)
"Have you any engraved1 stationery2?" he asked the storekeeper.
“你这里有信纸吗?”他问店主。
I'm behind on mycorrespondence.
我要写一封信。
The storekeeper helped Stuart up onto the counter and found some letter paper for him--small paper, marked with the initial "L".
店主把他放到柜台上,给他找了几张信纸——那些纸很小,每张纸的上角还印着一个字母“L ”。
Stuart whipped out his fountain pen and sat down against a five-cent candy bar and began a letter to Harriet: "MY DEAR MISS AMES," he wrote.
斯图亚特拉下钢笔帽,倚坐在一块价值五美分的硬糖上,开始给哈丽雅特写信:“我亲爱的埃姆斯小姐,”他写。
I am a young person of modest proportions.
我是一个谦虚的年轻人。
By birth I am a New Yorker, but at the moment I am traveling on business of a
confidential3 nature.
我来自纽约,出来旅行是由于一个秘密的目的。
My travels have brought me to your village.
现在我来到了你们这个镇。
Yesterday the keeper of your local store, who has an honest face and an open manner, gave me a most favorable report of your character and appearance.
昨天你们的一个店主,就是有着一张诚实的面孔和开朗性格的那个男人,对我说了不少关于你的好话。
At this point in the letter Stuart's pen ran dry from the long words,
写到这里钢笔没水了,
and Stuart had to get the storekeeper to lower him head-first into a bottle of ink so that he could refill the pen.
斯图亚特只好让店主拎着他的尾巴把他顺到浅浅的墨水瓶里,这样才可以把他的钢笔灌满墨水。
Then he went back to letter writing.
然后他又坐回来接着写……
分享到: