美丽新世界Brave New World 第16章(5)
时间:2016-11-25 04:57:43
搜索关注在线英语听力室公众号:tingroom,领取免费英语资料大礼包。
(单词翻译)
"I suppose not," said the Savage1 after a silence. "But need it be quite so bad as those twins?"
“我看倒也是的,”野蛮人沉吟了一会儿说,“可难道非弄得这么糟糕,搞出些多生子来不行吗?”
He passed his hand over his eyes as though he were trying to wipe away the remembered image of those long rows of identical midgets at the assembling tables,
他用手摸了摸眼睛,仿佛想抹掉装配台上那一大排一大排一模一样的林儒;
those queued-up twin-herds at the entrance to the Brentford monorail station,
抹掉布冷特福单轨火车站门口排成长龙的多生于群;
those human maggots
swarming2 round Linda's bed of death, the endlessly repeated face of his assailants.
抹掉在琳妲弥留的床边成群结队爬来爬去的人蛆;抹掉攻击他的那些千篇一律的面孔。
He looked at his bandaged left hand and
shuddered3. "Horrible!"
他看了看他上了绷带的左手,不禁不寒而栗。“恐怖!”
But how useful! I see you don't like our Bokanovsky Groups;
可是用处多大!你不喜欢我们的波坎诺夫斯基群,我明白;
but, I assure you, they're the foundation on which everything else is built.
可是我向你保证,是他们形成了基础,别的一切都是建筑在他们身上的。
They're the gyroscope that
stabilizes4 the rocket plane of state on its unswerving course.
他们是稳定国家这架火箭飞机,使之按轨道前进的方向陀螺仪。
The deep voice thrillingly vibrated; the gesticulating hand implied all space and the onrush of the
irresistible5 machine.
那深沉的声音令人惊心动魄地震动着;激动的手势暗示着整个宇宙空间和那无法抗拒的飞行器的冲刺。
穆斯塔法裳德解说的美妙几乎达到了合成音乐的标准。
"I was wondering," said the Savage, why you had them at all–seeing that you can get whatever you want out of those bottles.
“我在猜想,”野蛮人说,“你为什么还培育这样的人呢?——既然你从那些瓶子里什么东西都能得到,
Why don't you make everybody an Alpha Double Plus while you're about it?
为什么不把每个人都培养成阿尔法双加呢?
Mustapha Mond laughed. "Because we have no wish to have our throats cut," he answered.
穆斯塔法.蒙德哈哈大笑。“因为我们不愿意叫人家割断我们的喉咙,”他回答,
We believe in happiness and stability. A society of Alphas couldn't fail to be
unstable8 and
miserable9.
我们相信幸福和稳定。一个全阿尔法社会必然动荡而且痛苦。
Imagine a factory staffed by Alphas–that is to say by separate and unrelated individuals of good heredity and conditioned so as to be capable (within limits) of making a free choice and assuming responsibilities.
你想象一下看!他重复了一句。
Imagine it! he repeated.
你想象一座全是由阿尔法组成的工厂吧——那就是说全是由各自为政,互不关心的个体组成的工厂,他们遗传优秀,条件设置适宜在一定范围内自由进行选择,承担责任。
The Savage tried to imagine it, not very successfully.
野蛮人想象了一下,却想象不出什么道理来。
那是荒谬的。
An Alpha-decanted, Alpha-conditioned man would go mad if he had to do Epsilon Semi-Moron work–go mad, or start smashing things up.
硬叫按阿尔法标准换瓶和按阿尔法条件设置的人干爱扑塞隆半白痴的工作,他是会发疯的——发疯,否则他就会砸东西。
Alphas can be completely socialized–but only on condition that you make them do Alpha work.
阿尔法是可以完全社会化的——但是有个条件:你得让他们干阿尔法的活。
分享到: