英语听书《白鲸记》第291期
时间:2018-05-22 01:08:39
搜索关注在线英语听力室公众号:tingroom,领取免费英语资料大礼包。
(单词翻译)
Bildad, cried Captain Peleg, at it again, Bildad, eh? 比勒达,法勒船长嚷道,又在念啦,比勒达,是吗?
Ye have been studying those
Scriptures1, now, for the last thirty years, to my certain knowledge. How far ye got, Bildad? 就我所知,你已经把这些圣书研究了三十年啦。你研究到哪儿啦,比勒达?
As if long habituated to such
profane2 talk from his old shipmate, Bildad, 比勒达仿佛已经听惯了他的老船友这种不敬之词了,
without noticing his present
irreverence3, quietly looked up, and seeing me, glanced again inquiringly towards Peleg. 他一点也不理会,一言不发地抬起头来,一看到我,就又带着盘问的神情再望一望法勒。
He says he's our man, Bildad, said Peleg, he wants to ship. 他说他要做我们的船员,比勒达,法勒说,他要我们雇他。
Dost thee? said Bildad, in a hollow tone, and turning round to me. 你要吗?比勒达声气空泛,转身对我说。
I dost, said I unconsciously, he was so intense a Quaker. 我要,我不自觉地说,他是个这么认真的桂克。
What do ye think of him, Bildad? said Peleg. 你觉得他怎样,比勒达?法勒说。
He'll do, said Bildad, eyeing me, and then went on spelling away at his book in a
mumbling4 tone quite audible. 他行。比勒达瞧了我一眼后说,又继续念他的书,喃喃的声音,清晰可闻。
I thought him the queerest old Quaker I ever saw, especially as Peleg, his friend and old shipmate, seemed such a
blusterer5. 我认为他是我平生所见的一个最古怪的老桂克,尤其是因为他的朋友兼老船友法勒却似乎是一个性格非常暴躁的人。
But I said nothing, only looking round me sharply. 但是,我什么也不说,只是机警地四下望望。
Peleg now threw open a chest, and drawing
forth6 the ship's articles, placed pen and ink before him, and seated himself at a little table. 法勒这时打开了一只箱子,拿出船上的契约来,把笔和墨水放在面前,傍着一只小桌子坐下来。
I began to think it was high time to settle with myself at what terms I would be willing to engage for the voyage. 我心里开始想,这该是我自己决定的时候了,我该按什么条款才愿意应承这次航行。
I was already aware that in the whaling business they paid no wages; 我早已知道,在捕鲸业中,是不付工资的;
but all hands, including the captain, received certain shares of the profits called lays, 大家都是分取一定的份数。叫做拆账的红利,
and that these lays were proportioned to the degree of importance
pertaining7 to the respective duties of the ship's company. 我也知道,这种拆账是按船上各人的职责大小来分的。
分享到: