英语听书《白鲸记》第296期
时间:2018-05-22 01:16:41
搜索关注在线英语听力室公众号:tingroom,领取免费英语资料大礼包。
(单词翻译)
Captain Peleg, said I, I have a friend with me who wants to ship too-shall I bring him down to-morrow? 法勒船长,我说,我还有一个朋友,他也想做水手。我明天可以带他来吗?
To be sure, said Peleg. Fetch him along, and we'll look at him. 行,行,法勒说。把他找来,让我们看一看。
What lay does he want?
groaned1 Bildad, glancing up from the Book in which he had again been burying himself. 他要多少拆账?比勒达哼着说,眼睛打书本上抬了起来,因为他又在埋头读书了。
Oh! never thee mind about that, Bildad, said Peleg. Has he ever whaled it any? turning to me. 啊!这个请你别管,比勒达,法勒说。他可捕过鲸?他对我说。
Killed more whales than I can count, Captain Peleg. 他杀死的鲸我可数也数不清,法勒船长。
Well, bring him along then. 好,那么带他来吧。
And, after signing the papers, off I went; 签过约后,我就走了;
nothing doubting but that I had done a good morning's work, and that the Pequod was the identical ship that Yojo had provided to carry Queequeg and me round the
Cape2. 无疑的,我一清早已经做了一件不差的事了,裴廓德号就正是约约指定给我和魁魁格去环游合恩角的船哪。
But I had not proceeded far, when I began to bethink me that the Captain with whom I was to sail yet remained unseen by me; 但是,我走不多远,就想起我还没有见到那个我要同他一起出航的船长;
though, indeed, in many cases, a whale-ship will be completely fitted out, and receive all her crew on board, ere the captain makes himself visible by arriving to take command; 虽然,事实上确有许多时候,一条捕鲸船完全装备停妥,招足所有的水手后,船长才出来指挥的,
for sometimes these voyages are so prolonged, and the shore
intervals3 at home so exceedingly brief, that if the captain have a family, 因为航程往往很长,停泊在家乡的期间又非常之短促,如果船长还有一份家小,
or any absorbing concernment of that sort, he does not trouble himself much about his ship in port, 或者有什么脱不了身的要事之类,那他就不必对他那只停泊在港口的船只多加操心,
but leaves her to the owners till all is ready for sea. 尽可交给船主们去把一切开航的事情料理得妥妥帖帖。
However, it is always as well to have a look at him before irrevocably committing yourself into his hands. 不过,在你自己非得听他摆布不可之前,总还是先见一见他为好。
Turning back I
accosted4 Captain Peleg, inquiring where Captain Ahab was to be found. 于是,我又折回去,跟法勒船长搭讪了,问他可在哪里找到亚哈船长。
And what dost thou want of Captain Ahab? It's all right enough; thou art shipped. 你要找亚哈船长干什么呢?一切都弄得舒舒齐齐了,我们已经把你雇好啦。
Yes, but I should like to see him. 不错,不过,我很想见见他。
分享到: