英语听书《白鲸记》第503期
时间:2018-05-25 00:38:36
搜索关注在线英语听力室公众号:tingroom,领取免费英语资料大礼包。
(单词翻译)
"Certain. I've lowered for whales from a leaking ship in a gale1 off Cape2 Horn." “当然是,在合恩角海面上,我就曾经在大风里,打一只漏船上放下小艇去捕大鲸。”
"Mr.
Flask3," said I, turning to little King-Post, who was
standing4 close by; “弗拉斯克先生,”我又转过头问这个小中柱,他正好站在我旁边;
"you are experienced in these things, and I am not. “你对这些事情经验多,我可没有经验。
Will you tell me whether it is an unalterable law in this fishery, Mr. Flask, 你可不可以告诉我,这究竟是不是捕鲸业的不变的法律,弗拉斯克先生,
for an oarsman to break his own back pulling himself back-foremost into death's
jaws5?" 竟要一个桨手拚着性命、偷偷摸摸地把自己划到鬼门关里去呢?”
"Can't you twist that smaller?" said Flask. "Yes, that's the law. “你不能少乱扯些吗?”弗拉斯克说。“不错,这就是法律。
I should like to see a boat's crew backing water up to a whale face foremost. 我倒真想看到整只小艇的水手都把他们自己划到大鲸面前去。
Ha, ha! the whale would give them
squint6 for squint, mind that!" 哈,哈!那么,大鲸就会对他们另眼相看了,一定是这样的!”
Here then, from three
impartial7 witnesses, I had a deliberate statement of the entire case. 那么,从这三个不偏不倚的证人的话里,我对全盘事件已经获得一个慎重的说明了。
Considering, therefore, that squalls and capsizings in the water and consequent bivouacks on the deep, 因此,鉴于在海里会碰上刮狂风和翻船以及结果还得在海上露宿的这种生活,
were matters of common occurrence in this kind of life; 都不过是家常便饭;
considering that at the superlatively critical instant of going on to the whale 鉴于在捕鲸的最紧要关头,
I must resign my life into the hands of him who steered the boat-- 我必须把我的生命交在那个指挥小艇的人的手里——
oftentimes a fellow who at that very moment is in his impetuousness upon the point of scuttling the craft with his own frantic stampings; 而这家伙在这种千钧一发的时分,往往都是脾气很急躁,狂跺着脚拚命催逼船只向前;
considering that the particular disaster to our own particular boat was chiefly to be imputed to Starbuck's driving on to his whale almost in the teeth of a squall, 鉴于我们这条小艇的不幸,主要得归之于斯达巴克那种几乎是不顾狂风而猛追大鲸的行动,
and considering that Starbuck, notwithstanding, was famous for his great heedfulness in the fishery; 又鉴于斯达巴克,不管怎样,却是在捕鱼界中以极其小心谨慎见称的;
分享到: