月亮和六便士 第四十六章(1)
时间:2018-07-03 06:10:32
搜索关注在线英语听力室公众号:tingroom,领取免费英语资料大礼包。
(单词翻译)
Chapter 46 第四十六章
I had not been in Tahiti long before I met Captain Nichols. 我在塔希提没有待几天便见到了尼柯尔斯船长。
He came in one morning when I was having breakfast on the terrace of the hotel and introduced himself. 一天早晨,我正在旅馆的露台上吃早饭,他走进来,作了自我介绍。
He had heard that I was interested in Charles Strickland, and announced that he was come to have a talk about him. 他听说我对查理斯·斯特里克兰德感兴趣,便毛遂自荐,来找我谈谈思特里克兰德的事。
They are as fond of gossip in Tahiti as in an English village, and one or two enquiries I had made for pictures by Strickland had been quickly spread. 塔希提的居民同英国乡下人一样,很喜欢聊天,我随便向一两个人打听了一下思特里克兰德的画儿,这消息很快就传到每个人的耳朵里去了。
I asked the stranger if he had breakfasted. 我问这位陌生的来客是否吃过早点。
"Yes; I have my coffee early," he answered, "but I don't mind having a drop of whisky." “吃过了,我一起床就喝过咖啡了,”他回答说,“但是喝一口威士忌我并不反对。”
I called the Chinese boy. 我把旅馆的中国侍者喊过来。
"You don't think it's too early?" said the Captain. “你是不是认为现在喝酒太早了点?”船长说。
"You and your liver must decide that between you," I replied. “这该由你同你自己的肝脏做出决定,”我回答说。
"I'm practically a teetotaller," he said, as he poured himself out a good half-tumbler of Canadian Club. “我其实是个戒酒主义者,”他一边给自己斟了大半杯加拿大克拉伯牌威士忌,一边说。
When he smiled he showed broken and discoloured teeth. 尼柯尔斯船长笑的时候露出一口很不整齐的发黑的牙齿,
He was a very lean man, of no more than average height, with gray hair cut short and a stubbly gray moustache. 他生得瘦小枯干,身材不到中等,花白的头发剪得很短,嘴上是乱扎扎的白胡子碴。
He had not shaved for a couple of days. 尼柯尔斯船长已经有好几天没有刮脸了。
His face was deeply lined, burned brown by long exposure to the sun, 他的脸上皱纹很深,因为长年暴露在阳光下,晒得黎黑。
and he had a pair of small blue eyes which were astonishingly shifty. 他生着一双小蓝眼睛,目光游移不定;
They moved quickly, following my smallest gesture, and they gave him the look of a very thorough
rogue1. 随着我的手势,他的眼睛很快地转来转去,叫人一望而知是个社会上的老油子。
But at the moment he was all
heartiness2 and good-fellowship. 但是这时候他对我却是一片热诚和真情实意。
He was dressed in a bedraggled suit of khaki, and his hands would have been all the better for a wash. 他身上穿的一套卡其衣裤邋里邋遢,两只手也早该好好洗一洗了。
"I knew Strickland well," he said, as he leaned back in his chair and lit the cigar I had offered him. “我同思特里克兰德很熟,”他说,他身体往椅子背上一靠,点上我递给他的雪茄烟。
"It's through me he came out to the islands." “他到这个地方来还是通过我的关系。”
"Where did you meet him?" I asked. “你最早是在什么地方遇到他的?”我问。
"In Marseilles." “马赛。”
"What were you doing there?" “你在马赛做什么?”
He gave me an ingratiating smile. 他像要讨好我似地赔了个笑脸。
"Well, I guess I was on the beach." “呃,我当时没在船上,境遇很糟。”
分享到: