月亮和六便士 第五十一章(1)
时间:2018-07-04 01:38:48
搜索关注在线英语听力室公众号:tingroom,领取免费英语资料大礼包。
(单词翻译)
Chapter 51 第五十一章
Tiare, when I told her this story, praised my
prudence1, 当我给蒂阿瑞讲完了这个故事,她很称赞我看问题的敏锐。
and for a few minutes we worked in silence, for we were shelling peas. 这以后,我们埋头干了几分钟活儿,谁也没有再开口,因为我们当时正在剥豆子。
Then her eyes, always alert for the affairs of her kitchen, fell on some action of the Chinese cook which aroused her violent
disapproval2. 她的眼睛对厨房里发生的事一件也不放过,没过多一会儿,她看到中国厨师做了一件她非常不赞成的事,
She turned on him with a
torrent3 of abuse. 马上对他骂了一大串话,
The Chink was not backward to defend himself, and a very lively quarrel ensued. 但是那个中国人也毫不示弱,于是你一言我一语,展开一场极为激烈的舌战。
They
spoke4 in the native language, of which I had learnt but half a dozen words, 他们对骂时用的是当地土话,我只听得懂五、六个词,
and it sounded as though the world would shortly come to an end; 给我的印象是,好象世界末日都快要到了。
but presently peace was restored and Tiare gave the cook a cigarette. 但是没过多久,和平就又恢复了,而且蒂阿瑞居然还递给厨师傅一根纸烟。
They both smoked comfortably. 两个人都舒舒服服地喷起云雾来。
"Do you know, it was I who found him his wife?" said Tiare suddenly, with a smile that spread all over her immense face. “你知道,他的老婆还是我给找的呢,”蒂阿瑞突如其来地说了一句,一张大脸上布满了笑容。
"The cook?" “厨师傅的老婆?”
"No, Strickland." “不,思特里克兰德的。”
"But he had one already." “他已经有了呀。”
"That is what he said, but I told him she was in England, and England is at the other end of the world." “他也这么说。可是我告诉他,她的老婆在英国,英国在地球的那一边呢。”
"True," I replied. “不错,”我回答说。
"He would come to Papeete every two or three months, when he wanted paints or tobacco or money, and then he would wander about like a lost dog. “每隔两三个月,当他需要油彩啊、烟草啊,或者缺钱花的时候,他就到帕皮提来一趟。到了这里,他总是像个没主的野狗似地东游西荡,
I was sorry for him. 我看着怪可怜的。
I had a girl here then called Ata to do the rooms; 我这里雇着一个女孩子,帮我收拾房间。她名字叫爱塔。
she was some sort of a relation of mine, and her father and mother were dead, so I had her to live with me. 她是我的一个远房亲戚,父母都死了,所以我只好收留了她。
Strickland used to come here now and then to have a square meal or to play chess with one of the boys. 思特里克兰德有时候到我这儿来吃一顿饱饭,或者同我这里的哪个干活儿的下盘棋。
I noticed that she looked at him when he came, and I asked her if she liked him. 我发现每次他来的时候,爱塔都盯着他。我就问她她是不是喜欢这个人。
She said she liked him well enough. 她说她很喜欢他。
You know what these girls are; they're always pleased to go with a white man." 你知道这些女孩子是怎么样的,都喜欢找个白人。”
"Was she a native?" I asked. “爱塔是本地人吗?”我问。
分享到: