月亮和六便士 第五十三章(2)
时间:2018-07-04 01:59:56
搜索关注在线英语听力室公众号:tingroom,领取免费英语资料大礼包。
(单词翻译)
The pareo is a long strip of trade cotton, red or blue, stamped with a white pattern. 所谓帕利欧就是一长条印着白色图案的红色或蓝色的棉布,
It is worn round the waist and hangs to the knees. 围在腰上,下面搭在膝盖上。
"A girl of fifteen, perhaps, was plaiting pandanus-leaf to make a hat, and an old woman was sitting on her haunches smoking a pipe. “一个女孩子,大概有十五六岁吧,正在用凤梨树叶编草帽,一个老太婆蹲在地上抽烟袋。
Then I saw Ata. She was suckling a new-born child, and another child,
stark1 naked, was playing at her feet. 后来我才看到爱塔,她正在给一个刚出世不久的小孩喂奶,另外一个小孩,光着屁股,在她脚底下玩。
When she saw me she called out to Strickland, and he came to the door. 爱塔看见我以后,就招呼思特里克兰德。思特里克兰德从屋子里走到门口。
He, too, wore nothing but a pareo. 他身上同样也只围着一件帕利欧。
He was an extraordinary figure, with his red beard and matted hair, and his great hairy chest. 他留着大红胡子,头发粘成一团,胸上长满了汗毛,样子真是古怪。
His feet were horny and scarred, so that I knew he went always bare foot. 他的两只脚磨得起了厚茧,还有许多疤痕,我一看就知道他从不穿鞋。
He had gone native with a
vengeance2. 说实在的,他简直比当地人更加土化。
He seemed pleased to see me, and told Ata to kill a chicken for our dinner. 他看见我好象很高兴,吩咐爱塔杀一只鸡招待我。
He took me into the house to show me the picture he was at work on when I came in. 他把我领进屋子里,给我看我来的时候他正在画的一张画。
In one corner of the room was the bed, and in the middle was an easel with the canvas upon it. 屋子的一个角落里摆着一张床,当中是一个画架,画架上钉着一块画布。
Because I was sorry for him, I had bought a couple of his pictures for small sums, and I had sent others to friends of mine in France. 因为我觉得他挺可怜,所以花了不多钱买了他几张画。这些画大多数我都寄给法国的朋友了。
And though I had bought them out of
compassion3, after living with them I began to like them. 虽然我当时买这些画是出于对他的同情,但是时间长了,我还是喜欢上它们了。
Indeed, I found a strange beauty in them. 我发现这些画有一种奇异的美。
Everyone thought I was mad, but it turns out that I was right. 别人都说我发疯了,但事实证明我是正确的。
I was his first admirer in the islands." 我是这个地区第一个能鉴赏他的绘画的人。”
and with lamentations she told us again the story of how at the sale of Strickland's effects she had neglected the pictures, 于是蒂阿瑞又一次后悔不迭地给我们讲起那个老故事来:在拍卖思特里克兰德遗产的时候,她怎样一点儿也没有注意他的画,
but bought an American stove for twenty-seven francs. 只花了二十七个法郎买了一个美国的煤油炉子。
分享到: