月亮和六便士 第五十七章(2)
时间:2018-07-04 02:26:39
搜索关注在线英语听力室公众号:tingroom,领取免费英语资料大礼包。
(单词翻译)
I had been thinking of it, too. 我脑子里想的也正是这件事。
It seemed to me that here Strickland had finally put the whole expression of himself. 看来思特里克兰德终于把他的内心世界完全表现出来了。
Working silently, knowing that it was his last chance, I fancied that here he must have said all that he knew of life and all that he divined. 他默默无言地工作着,心里非常清楚,这是他一生中最后一个机会了。我想思特里克兰德一定把他理解的生活、把他的慧眼所看到的世界用图象表示了出来。
And I fancied that perhaps here he had at last found peace. 我还想,他在创作这些巨画时也许终于寻找到心灵的平静;
and with the completion of the work, for which all his life had been a painful preparation, rest
descended3 on his remote and tortured soul. 他痛苦的一生似乎就是为这些壁画做准备,在图画完成的时候,他那远离尘嚣的受折磨的灵魂也就得到了安息。
He was willing to die, for he had fulfilled his purpose. 对于死他勿宁说抱着一种欢迎的态度,因为他一生追求的目的已经达到了。
"What was the subject?" I asked. “他的画主题是什么?”我问。
"I scarcely know. It was strange and fantastic. “我说不太清楚。他的画奇异而荒诞,
It was a vision of the beginnings of the world, the Garden of Eden, with Adam and Eve—que sais-je?— 好象是宇宙初创时的图景——伊甸园,亚当和夏娃……我怎么知道呢?
it was a
hymn4 to the beauty of the human form, male and female, and the praise of Nature,
sublime5, indifferent, lovely, and cruel. 是对人体美——男性和女性的形体—— 的一首赞美诗,是对大自然的颂歌;大自然,既崇高又冷漠,既美丽又残忍……
It gave you an awful sense of the
infinity6 of space and of the endlessness of time. 它使你感到空间的无限和时间的永恒,叫你产生一种畏惧的感觉。
Because he painted the trees I see about me every day, the cocoa-nuts, the banyans, the flamboyants, the alligator-pears, 他画了许多树,椰子树、榕树、火焰花、鳄梨……所有那些我天天看到的;
I have seen them ever since differently, as though there were in them a spirit and a mystery which I am ever on the point of seizing and which forever escapes me. 但是这些树经他一画,我再看的时候就完全不同了,我仿佛看到它们都有了灵魂,都各自有一个秘密,仿佛它们的灵魂和秘密眼看就要被我抓到手里,但又总是被它们逃脱掉。
The colours were the colours familiar to me, and yet they were different. 那些颜色都是我熟悉的颜色,可是又有所不同;
They had a significance which was all their own. 它们都具有自己的独特的重要性。
And those
nude7 men and women. They were of the earth, and yet apart from it. 而那些赤身裸体的男男女女,他们既都是尘寰的、
They seemed to possess something of the clay of which they were created, and at the same time something divine. 是他们揉捏而成的尘土,又都是神灵。
You saw man in the nakedness of his primeval instincts, and you were afraid, for you saw yourself." 人的最原始的天性赤裸裸地呈现在你眼前,你看到的时候不由得感到恐惧,因为你看到的是你自己。”
分享到: