英语听书《海底两万里》第332期 第23章 珊瑚王国(29)
时间:2018-06-29 01:50:34
搜索关注在线英语听力室公众号:tingroom,领取免费英语资料大礼包。
(单词翻译)
We walked by ourselves, genuine loiterers stopping or straying as our fancies dictated1. 我们各走各的路,随自己的意思,或停下,或走开。
For my part, I was no longer worried about those dangers my imagination had so ridiculously exaggerated. 至于我自己,我已经不把那件由于空想所引起的十分可笑的事放在心上了。
The shallows drew noticeably closer to the surface of the sea, and soon, walking in only a meter of water, my head passed well above the level of the ocean. 海底这时显然接近海面,不久,我的头离水面只有一米了。
Conseil rejoined me, and gluing his huge
copper2 capsule to mine, his eyes gave me a friendly greeting. 康塞尔走近我身边,把他的铜球帽贴着我的铜球帽,他挤弄眼睛,向我作个友谊的敬礼。
But this lofty plateau measured only a few
fathoms3, and soon we reentered Our Element. I think I've now earned the right to
dub4 it that. 不过这水底高原只有几米长,不久我们又回到我们的深水中。我想现在我有权利可以这样讲。
Ten minutes later, Captain Nemo stopped suddenly. I thought he'd called a halt so that we could turn and start back. 十分钟后,尼摩船长忽然停住了。我以为他是停一下就要转回去。
No. With a gesture he ordered us to
crouch5 beside him at the foot of a wide
crevice6. His hand motioned toward a spot within the liquid mass, and I looked carefully. 然而不是。他做个手势,要我们在一个宽大的窝里面,挨近他身边蹲下来。他用手指着水中的一点,我很注意地观察。
Five meters away a shadow appeared and dropped to the seafloor. The alarming idea of sharks crossed my mind. 离我们五米的地方,出现一个黑影,下沉到底。使我害怕的鲛鱼的念头又涌现在我心中了。
But I was mistaken, and once again we didn't have to deal with monsters of the deep. 可是,这一次我又错了,在我们面前的并不是海洋中的怪物。
It was a man, a living man, a black Indian fisherman, a poor devil who no doubt had come to gather what he could before harvest time. 那是一个人,一个活人,一个印度人,一个黑人,当然是一个采珠人,一个可怜人,他未到采珠期就前来采珠了。
I saw the bottom of his dinghy,
moored7 a few feet above his head. He would dive and go back up in quick succession. 我看见他的艇底。停泊在距他头上只有几英尺的水面上。他潜入水中,随即又浮上来。
A stone cut in the shape of a sugar loaf, which he gripped between his feet while a rope connected it to his boat, served to lower him more quickly to the ocean floor. 一块砸成像小面包一般的石头夹在两脚中间,一根绳索缚着石头,系在他的艇子上,使他可以很快地到海底下来。
This was the extent of his equipment. 以上就是他所有的采珠工具。
Arriving on the seafloor at a depth of about five meters, he fell to his knees and stuffed his sack with shellfish gathered at
random8. 到了海底,约五米深左右,他立即跪下,把顺手拿到的小纹珠:贝塞人他的口袋中。
Then he went back up, emptied his sack, pulled up his stone, and started all over again, the whole process
lasting9 only thirty seconds. 然后,他上去,倒净口袋,拉出石头,又开始下水采珠,一上一下,只不过是三十秒钟。
分享到: