TED演讲 网络设计 事关你我(3)
时间:2018-10-10 01:34:42
搜索关注在线英语听力室公众号:tingroom,领取免费英语资料大礼包。
(单词翻译)
The next thing that you need to understand as a principle is that when you introduce change, 下一个你必须要去理解的事情是当你想要改变的时候
Now I often have joked that I spend almost as much time designing the introduction of change as I do the change itself, 我经常开玩笑说,我在设计产品变动的介绍词花费了大量的时间,这几乎和我在做产品改动的时间是一样的
and I'm sure that we can all relate to that when something that we use a lot changes and then we have to adjust. 而且我敢肯定,当一件事情需要我们做出很多改变的时候我们也要对自己做出调整。
The fact is, people can become very efficient at using bad design, 事实上,人们会因为使用了,不好的设计而变得更有效率,
and so even if the change is good for them in the long run, 虽然从长远角度上看,这个改变是对大家有好处的,
it's still incredibly
frustrating2 when it happens, 但是有不好的设计产生的时候, 它仍被认为是一个失败的设计,
and this is particularly true with user-generated content platforms, 而且这个在用户创建的内容平台中证实了,
because people can rightfully claim a sense of ownership. 因为人们会去维护他们的主人翁意识。
It is, after all, their content. 毕竟脸书上所说的是他们自己。
Now, years ago, when I was working at YouTube, 几年前,当我还在YouTube(视频网站)工作的时候,
we were looking for ways to encourage more people to rate videos, 我们尝试着怎样才能鼓励更多的人去评价视频,
and it was interesting because when we looked into the data, 当我们查看数据的时候,发现了一些很有趣的事情,
we found that almost everyone was exclusively using the highest five-star rating, 几乎所有的人都给与了别人最高的五星的评价,
a handful of people were using the lowest one-star, 只有极少数的一些人会使用最少的一星评价,
and virtually no one was using two, three or four stars. 并且几乎没有人会使用两星,三星或是四星的评价。
So we
decided3 to simplify into an up-down kind of voting
binary4 model. 所以我们决定简化这样的评估模式,我们把它变成只有好和坏两种选择的模式。
It's going to be much easier for people to engage with. 这对于参与评估的人们来说简单多了。
But people were very attached to the five-star rating system. 但是,人们非常注重五星评估系统。
Video creators really loved their ratings. 上传视频的人也很满意他们的评估等级。
Millions and millions of people were accustomed to the old design. 成百万的使用者已经习惯了旧的五星评分方式。
So in order to help people prepare themselves for change and
acclimate5 to the new design more quickly, 所以,为了帮助人们更快的熟悉和接受这个新的设计,
we actually published the data graph sharing with the community the rationale for what we were going to do, 我们把之前的数据图表放在了网上告诉人们我们要去改变的原因,
and it even engaged the larger industry in a conversation, which resulted in my favorite TechCrunch headline of all time: 没想到在大家的交流过程中话题被扩大了,于是产生我最爱的科技博客(新兴互联网公司评论的博客)的标题:
Its Ratings Are Useless." 它的五星评级制毫无用处”
Now, it's impossible to completely avoid change aversion when you're making changes to products that so many people use. 虽然不可能完全避免改变带来的反感,尤其是改变了那多人已经熟悉的产品。
Even though we tried to do all the right things, 即使我们试着把所有的事情做对,
we still received our customary flood of video protests and angry emails and even a package that had to be scanned by security, 可是还是受到了如同洪水般的抗议视频和投诉邮件,甚至我们还收到了一个 需要接受安全扫描的包裹,
but we have to remember people care intensely about this stuff, 然而,从另外一个角度来,我们也知道到人们对这个改变非常关注,
and it's because these products, this work, 也是因为这个产品对于他们来说,
really, really matters to them. 是真的真的很重要。
Now, we know that we have to be careful about paying attention to the details, 现在我们知道了细节的重要性,
we have to be cognizant about how we use data in our design process, 我们也意识到,如何在设计中使用数据,
and we have to introduce change very, very carefully. 而且,在我们给人们介绍产品改变的时候也要非常小心仔细。
Now, these things are all really useful. 这些方法是非常有用的。
They're good best practices for designing at scale. 它们是在设计规模时候最好的练习方法。
But they don't mean anything if you don't understand something much more fundamental. 但是如果你不能懂得其中的最基本道理,那么它对于你说就什么都不是。
You have to understand who you are designing for. 你必须明白,你究竟是在为谁设计。
Now, when you set a goal to design for the entire human race, 当你建立的设计目标是为了全人类而设计的时候,
and you start to engage in that goal in earnest, 然后你以一个认真的态度去达成那个目标,
at some point you run into the walls of the bubble that you're living in. 有些时候你在自己的立场迷失方向。
Now, in San Francisco, we get a little miffed when we hit a dead cell zone because we can't use our phones to
navigate7 to the new hipster coffee shop. 现在,就在旧金山, 当我们到达一个没有信号的区域,因为无法使用手机导航来寻找到新开的流行的咖啡店,我们就开始不开心了。
But what if you had to drive four hours to charge your phone because you had no reliable source of electricity? 但是如果你因为没有可靠的电源设备,而得开四个小时的车去找给手机充电的电源设备?
What if you had no access to public libraries? 如果你不被允许进入公共图书馆了
What if your country had no free press? 如果这个国家都没有自由媒体了?
What would these products start to mean to you? 如果这些产品对你的要求严格了?
This is what Google, YouTube and Facebook look like to most of the world, 这就是为什么谷歌,YouTube 和facebook被世界所期待,
and it's what they'll look like to most of the next five billion people to come online. 这也是为什么未来的50亿人会去上网。
Designing for low-end cell phones is not
glamorous8 design work, 设计一个低端的手机并不是一个吸引人的工作,
but if you want to design for the whole world, 但是,如果你是为了整个世界在设计,
you have to design for where people are, 你就必须站在人们的角度上考虑,
and not where you are. 而不是你自己的角度。
So how do we keep this big, big picture in mind? 所以,我们应该如何记住把这个大的思考立场呢?
We try to travel outside of our bubble to see, hear and understand the people we're designing for. 我们尝试站在使用者的角度去思考,我们尝试着去理解他们。
We use our products in non-English languages to make sure that they work just as well. 我们也邀请那些说不同语言人使用我们的产品以确保所有的程序都能正常运行。
分享到: