TED演讲:提高批判性思维的5个窍门(2)
时间:2018-10-25 00:56:44
搜索关注在线英语听力室公众号:tingroom,领取免费英语资料大礼包。
(单词翻译)
Two: gather your information. 第二:搜集信息。
There's lots of it out there, so having a clear idea of your question will help you determine what's relevant. 信息无所不在,所以明晰问题可以帮你决定哪些信息是有用的。
If you're trying to decide on a diet to improve your nutrition, you may ask an expert for their advice, or seek other people's
testimonies1. 如果你想通过饮食方式来摄取更多营养,你可以咨询下营养师,或是向他人寻求经验。
Information
gathering2 helps you weigh different options, moving you closer to a decision that meets your goal. 搜集信息帮助你权衡不同方案,使你做出更接近目标的决定。
Three: apply the information, something you do by asking critical questions. 第三:运用信息,可以通过问关键性问题对信息加以运用。
Facing a decision, ask yourself, "What concepts are at work?" 面对一个选择时,问问自己“哪些概念要用到?”
"What assumptions exist?" “存在几种假设?”
"Is my
interpretation3 of the information logically sound?" “我对信息的解读符合逻辑吗?”
For example, in an email that promises you millions, you should consider, 比如,一个邮件声称能让你成为百万富翁,你可以考虑下面几个问题:
"What is shaping my approach to this situation?" “什么因素决定我对此做出判断?”
"Do I assume the sender is telling the truth?" “我认为发件人说的是实话吗?”
"Based on the evidence, is it logical to assume I'll win any money?" “从现实来看,我有可能赢钱吗?”
Four: consider the implications. 第四,考虑后果及影响。
Imagine it's election time, and you've selected a political candidate based on their promise to make it cheaper for drivers to fill up on gas. 想象一下现在是大选期,你选择支持一个候选人是因为他承诺要让汽油更便宜。
At first glance, that seems great. But what about the long-term environmental effects? 初听上去还不错。但长期来讲会对环境造成什么影响?
If gasoline use is less restricted by cost, this could also cause a huge surge in air pollution, 如果不用高价限制汽油的使用,大气污染将变得极其严重,
an unintended consequence that's important to think about. 而这是必须考虑的一个意外后果。
Five: explore other points of view. 第五:了解其他观点。
Ask yourself why so many people are
drawn4 to the policies of the opposing political candidate. 问问自己为什么那么多人被对方候选人政策吸引。
Even if you disagree with everything that candidate says, 即使你一点都不认同那个候选人所说的,
exploring the full
spectrum5 of viewpoints might explain why some policies that don't seem
valid6 to you appeal to others. 你也要探究他的一系列观点,弄清楚为什么他的政策你觉得没用,但别人喜欢。
This will allow you to explore alternatives, evaluate your own choices, and ultimately help you make more informed decisions. 这就让你能进一步探究其他选择,衡量你自己的选项,最后做出更好的决定。
This five-step process is just one tool, and it certainly won't
eradicate7 difficult decisions from our lives. 这五个步骤仅仅是工具,也不可能完全解决我们所面对的难题。
But it can help us increase the number of positive choices we make. 但却可以帮我们做出更多更好的决定。
Critical thinking can give us the tools to
sift8 through a sea of information and find what we're looking for. 批判性思维方式能帮我们筛选信息,找到我们真正想要的。
And if enough of us use it, it has the power to make the world a more reasonable place. 而且如果更多的人具备批判性思维的能力,这个世界将变得更加理性。
分享到: