TED演讲:同性恋和异性恋(6)
时间:2018-10-30 02:03:43
搜索关注在线英语听力室公众号:tingroom,领取免费英语资料大礼包。
(单词翻译)
The most important thing to take from the percentage system is this: 百分制评价标准最重要的一点是,
If you have gay people over here 如果这边是完全的同性恋,
and you have straight people over here, 另一边是完全的异性恋,
and while we recognize that most people identify 当大多数人将自己定位成靠近异性恋
as somewhere closer to one
binary1 or another, 或靠近同性恋这一极端的位置时,
there is this vast
spectrum2 of people that exist in between. 有相当多的人落在了这个色谱的中间位置。
And the reality that this presents is a complicated one. 而事实上,这里展示的是一个很复杂的问题。
Because, for example, if you pass a law 因为,比如,你们通过一项法律
that allows a boss to fire an employee for homosexual behavior, 允许老板开除有同性恋行为的员工,
where exactly do you draw the line? 那么这条线应该画在(色谱的)哪里?
Is it over here, by the people who have had one or two heterosexual experiences so far? 是画在这里,有过一到两次异性恋经历的人这头?
Or is it over here 还是画在那里,
by the people who have only had one or two homosexual experiences thus far? 只有过一到两次同性恋经历的人那头?
Where exactly does one become a second-class citizen? 究竟是什么原因使得一个人变成了二等公民?
Another interesting thing that I learned from my project and my travels 我的项目和我的游历经历让我学到的另一个有趣的事情
After traveling so much and meeting so many people, 在游历了这么多地方、跟那么多人见面之后,
let me tell you, there are just as many jerks and sweethearts 我告诉你,同性恋团体中也有笨蛋、好人、
and
Democrats5 and Republicans and jocks and queens 民主党支持者、共和党支持者、土鳖、女神,
and every other polarization you can possibly think of 你能在人类群体中发现的
within the LGBT community 所有的观点差异
as there are within the human race. 在同性恋团体中都存在。
Aside from the fact that we play with one legal hand tied behind our backs, 是的,我们一起反抗意图束缚我们权利的法律,
and once you get past the shared
narrative6 of prejudice and struggle, 但是当你撇开我们被歧视和一起抗争的共同经历,
just being other than straight “同性恋”这个身份,
doesn't necessarily mean that we have anything in common. 并不表示我们之间有什么共同点。
So in the endless proliferation of faces that Self Evident Truths is always becoming, 所以随着“不证自明的真理”活动的开展,无穷无尽的人脸照片被新加进来,
as it hopefully appears across more and more platforms, 它可能出现在更多的平台,
bus shelters,
billboards7, Facebook pages, screen savers, 公交候车亭,广告牌,Facebook页面、屏幕保护程序中。
perhaps in watching this procession of humanity, 或许随着人性的发展,
something interesting and useful will begin to happen. 一些有趣和有用的事情将会发生。
Hopefully these categories, these
binaries8, 这些分类、二分法、
these over-simplified boxes 过度简化的盒子,
will begin to become useless and they'll begin to fall away. 或许有希望变得没有用处并开始消失。
Because really, they describe nothing that we see 因为这些标准无法描述我们的所看、所知,
and no one that we know and nothing that we are. 也无法描述我们是什么。
What we see are human beings in all their multiplicity. 我们看到的是人类的多样性。
And seeing them makes it harder to deny their humanity. 而亲眼看到他们使得人们很难否认他们的人性。
At the very least I hope it makes it harder to deny their human rights. 最低程度我希望这些面孔让人更难否定他们的人权。
So is it me particularly 所以,我是否就是
that you would choose to deny the right to housing, 你所针对的那种人,
the right to adopt children, the right to marriage, 拒绝承认我有居住的权利、抚养孩子的权利、
the freedom to shop here, live here, buy here? 结婚的权利、开店、生活、购物的自由?
Am I the one that you choose to disown 我是否就是你决定要脱离关系的人
as your child or your brother or your sister or your mother or your father, 你的子女、你的兄弟姐妹、你的父母、
your neighbor, your cousin, your uncle, the president, 你的邻居,你的堂兄,你的舅舅,美国总统,
your police woman or the fireman? 你(社区中)的女警或消防员?
It's too late. 太迟了。
Because I already am all of those things. 因为我已经是你生活的一部分了。
We already are all of those things, and we always have been. 我们已经是相互生活的一部分,我们也将继续如此。
So please don't greet us as strangers, 所以请不要视我们为陌生人,
greet us as your fellow human beings, period. 视我们为跟你一样的人。句号。
Thank you. 谢谢。
分享到: