TED演讲 获奖青少年,科技在行动(2)
时间:2018-12-25 05:27:03
搜索关注在线英语听力室公众号:tingroom,领取免费英语资料大礼包。
(单词翻译)
So my idea was born,and I had the project set up and a hypothesis, 这就是我的想法诞生的过程,然后,我就有了项目的开展和假说,
so what was my next step? 那么我的下一步呢?
Well obviously I had to find a lab to work at because I didn't have the equipment in my school. 很明显的,我要找到一家实验室,因为我在学校没有实验设备。
I thought this would be easy, 我以为这会很容易,
but I emailed about 200 different people within a five-hour
radius1 of where I lived, 但是我给200多个人写邮件 ,离我居住的地方开车5个小时的范围内,
and I got one positive response that said that they could work with me. 我只得到了一个正面的回复,说愿意帮助我。
Most of the others either never responded back, 更多的人要么根本不回复,
said they didn't have the time or didn't have the equipment and couldn't help me. 说他们没时间 要么就是没有设备,帮不了我。
So it was a big commitment to drive to the lab to work multiple times. 所以说,这是一个很重的承诺,要多次开车去实验室开展实验。
However, it was a great opportunity to work in a real lab -- 但是,这是一个可以在真正的实验室工作的绝好机会--
so I could finally start my project. 我也得以最终开始我的项目。
The first stage was completed at home, 第一步是完全在家完成的,
which consisted of marinating the chicken,grilling the chicken, 其中包括腌制鸡肉,烤鸡,
amassing2 it and preparing it to be transported to the lab. 收集样本以及准备送到实验室。
The second stage was completed at the Penn State University main campus lab, 第二步的完成是在宾州大的主校园实验室,
which is where I extracted the chemicals, 也就是我提取化学物质的地方,
changed the PH so I could run it through the equipment 改变酸碱度,这样我就可以通过设备
and separated the compounds I needed from the rest of the chicken. 从其余的鸡肉中分离我所需的成分。
The final stages,when I ran the samples through a high-pressure liquid chromatography mass spectrometer, 最后一步是,当我把样本经过高压液相色谱质谱仪,
which separated the compounds and
analyzed3 the chemicals 分开混和物质,并且分析其中的化学物质,
and told me exactly how much carcinogens I had in my chicken. 于是我能很准确得知道在鸡肉中有多少致癌物。
So when I went through the data,I had very surprising results, 当分析数据时,我发现了很惊人的结果,
because I found that four out of the five marinating ingredients actually
inhibited4 the carcinogen formation. 因为我发现五种腌制调料中有四种实际上能阻止致癌物的组成 。
When compared with the unmarinated chicken,which is what I used as my control, 当同没有经过腌制的鸡肉比较时,也就是我的控制样本,
I found that lemon juice worked by far the best,which decreased the carcinogens by about 98 percent. 我发现柠檬汁目前是最有效的,能降低致癌物达98%。
The saltwater marinade and the brown sugar marinade also worked very well, 盐水腌制和红糖腌制也同样有效,
decreasing the carcinogens by about 60 percent. 能降低致癌物达60%。
Olive oil slightly decreased the PhIP formation,but it was nearly negligible. 橄榄油只能轻微的降低PhIP的组成,但是几乎是微不足道的 。
And the soy sauce results were inconclusive because of the large data range, 酱油的实验结果还是未知数,这是由于广泛的数据范围,
but it seems like soy sauce actually increased the potential carcinogens. 但是看上去,酱油实际上增加了潜在的致癌物。
Another important factor that I didn't take into account
initially5 was the time cooked. 另一个我没有事先预计在内的重要因素就是烧烤时间。
And I found that if you increase the time cooked,the amount of carcinogens rapidly increases. 我发现如果增加烧烤时间,致癌物将飞速的增长。
So the best way to marinate chicken,based on this,is to, not under-cook, 所以最好的腌制方式,根据这些(实验结果)也就是,不要生煮,
but definitely don't over-cook and
char6 the chicken, 但是一定不要煮过头和烤过头,
and marinate in either lemon juice, brown sugar or saltwater. 用柠檬汁,红糖或者盐水来腌制。
Based on these findings, I have a question for you. 根据这些发现,我有个问题想问你们。
Would you be willing to make a simple change in your diet that could potentially save your life? 你们会愿意在你的饮食上做个简单的改变,由此可能会拯救你的生命?
Now I'm not saying that if you eat
grilled7 chicken that's not marinated, 我并不是说如果你吃没有经过腌制的烤鸡 ,
you're definitely going to catch cancer and die. 你就一定会得癌症然后死去。
However, anything you can do to decrease the risk of potential carcinogens can definitely increase the quality of lifestyle. 但是,你所做的任何事情来降低潜在致癌物质的几率,一定会增加你生活方式的质量。
Is it worth it to you? How will you cook your chicken now? 对你来说,这值得吗? 现在你会怎么做鸡肉呢?
分享到: