美国语文第三册 第65期:知足的男孩(1)
时间:2018-05-03 01:44:29
搜索关注在线英语听力室公众号:tingroom,领取免费英语资料大礼包。
(单词翻译)
Mr. Lenox was one morning riding by himself. 有一天早晨,雷诺克斯先生正独自骑着马。
He got off from his horse to look at something on the roadside. 为了看路旁的某样东西,他从马上下来了。
The horse broke away from him, and ran off. 突然,马从他手上挣脱,跑开了。
Mr. Lenox ran after him,but soon found that he could not catch him. 雷诺克斯先生急忙去追,可是很快就发现不可能追得上。
A little boy at work in a field near the road, heard the horse. 路旁的田里有一个小男孩正在劳作,他听到了马的声音。
As soon as he saw him running from his master, the boy ran very quickly to the middle of the road, and,
catching1 the horse by the
bridle2, stopped him till Mr. Lenox came up. 他一看到马从主人身边逃开,就迅速跑到路中间,他抓住了缰绳,让马停了下来,等待雷克诺斯先生走近。
Mr. Lenox. Thank you, my good boy, you have caught my horse very nicely. 雷诺克斯先生(以下为“雷”):谢谢你,好小伙儿,你抓住了我的马,干得很漂亮。
What shall I give you for your trouble? 给你添了麻烦,我该给你些什么表示感谢呢?
The boy says: "I want nothing, sir." 男孩说:“我什么也不要,先生。”
You want nothing? 你什么也不要?
So much the better for you. 对你来说何乐而不为呢。
Few men can say as much. 很少有人能这么说的。
But what were you doing in the field? 可是你刚才在田里做什么呢?
I was rooting up weeds, and tending the sheep that were feeding on
turnips3. 我在除草,还有照看吃芜菁的绵羊。
Do you like to work? 你喜欢干活吗?
Yes, sir, very well, this fine weather. 是的,先生,很喜欢,这么好的天气。
But would you not rather play? 可是你不想去玩耍吗?
This is not hard work. It is almost as good as play. 这不是什么重活,这几乎和玩耍一样好。
Who set you to work? 是谁安排你来干活的?
My father, sir. 我的父亲,先生。
What is your name? 你叫什么名字?
How old are you? 你多大了?
Eight years old, next June. 到6月就8岁了。
How long have you been here? 你在这儿待了多久了?
Ever since six o'clock this morning. 早晨6点以后我就一直在这里。
Are you not hungry? 你肚子不饿吗?
Yes, sir, but I shall go to dinner soon. 饿的,先生,但是我很快就要吃午饭了。
If you had a
dime5 now, what would you do with it? 如果你有个一角的硬币,你会用它来做什么呢?
I don't know, sir. I never had so much. 我不知道,先生,我从来没有过那么多的钱。
Have you no playthings? 你没有玩具吗?
Playthings? What are they? 玩具?玩具是什么?
Such things as ninepins,
marbles6, tops, and wooden horses. 例如九柱戏、玻璃弹子、陀螺和木马等。
No, sir. Tom and I play at football in winter, and I have ajumping rope. 没有,先生。汤姆和我冬天的时候玩橄榄球,我有一根跳绳,
I had a
hoop7, but it is broken. 还有一个铁箍,不过坏掉了。
分享到: